Why ROUTINE is so important...
Give me an R, give me an O, give me an U, T, I, N and E.
What have we got? ROUTINE!!!
Some people love to have a solid daily routine, while others shudder at the thought of having a predictable schedule. During times of great stress, however, maintaining structure and routine can help you feel more organised and in control. I've always had a pretty solid routine anyway (it's a control thing that's arisen from panic attacks and depression) and even though I'll tweak it, stray off it or even add to it, I totally believe in the importance of routine during times of stress and uncertainty.
Having a routine can be helpful at any time, particularly if you are trying to form healthy habits, but these routines can be particularly important when areas of your life feel uncertain.
The disruptions caused by the COVID-19 pandemic have dramatically changed many people’s normal routines, which makes it that much harder to cope with the stress that people are feeling.
The benefits of having a routine
- Lower stress levels
- Form good daily habits
- Take better care of your health
- Help you feel more productive
- Help you feel more focused.
- Staying active and getting regular daily exercise - even just 20-30 minutes!
- Making sure that you are well-rested - don't be staying up late watching brain-numbing trash on tv - even if you don't have to get to work the next day
- Eating healthy meals on a regular schedule
- Setting realistic goals - make a to-do list of just three tasks per day maximum
- Trying to stay positive - affirmations, following inspiring people on social media, reading, NOT watching the news
- Preparing for challenges but not dwelling on things you can't control
- Staying in touch with friends and family members
- Setting aside time for activities that you enjoy.